The Petition is now closed; please stay tuned
Petitioning Imperial College Management Board
Petition against the transferral or closure of the Translation Studies Unit
Translation Studies Unit at Imperial College London
The Imperial College Management Board has informed us that the activities carried out by the Translation Studies Unit (TSU) are not considered core to the College strategy and that, if possible, the Unit should be transferred to another institution. If this solution proves not to be feasible, consideration will be given to closing the unit by the end of September 2013.
We believe that the Management Board’s view is a deeply mistaken one and that the work of the TSU is indeed fully in line with all the College’s strategic aims. In keeping with the College’s mission, the TSU embodies and delivers world-class scholarship, education and research in scientific, technical and medical translation. We consider that the relevance to the College Strategy of the activities carried out by the TSU is clear in that:
– The TSU unit plays an essential role in scientific communication across languages and cultures.
– The TSU trains professional translators who engage in the transfer of knowledge, expertise and technology from one language to another, thus maximising the social and economic impact and value of education and research.
– The translation and communication of scientific material across languages is essential for finding innovative ways to extend the reach and impact of the College’s work.
– Engaging with the world to understand, identify and take the lead in confronting emerging scientific challenges and devising solutions is not possible without translators and interpreters specialised in science, medicine and technology.
– With a track record of 12 years of large-scale MSc teaching and PhD provision, the TSU has established itself as a strong player within the College, with very healthy recruitment, particularly of overseas students, at both MSc and PhD levels, and a strong provision of further complementary activities (summer courses, online courses and Saturday courses).
With this in mind we, the undersigned, call upon the Imperial College Management Board to rule out the transferral or closure of the Translation Studies Unit and to permit the Unit to continue providing world-class translation teaching and translator training.
Please support us by signing this petition by 15th February 2013.